Friday, September 7, 2012

Day Eight - We Fly Home

Even though we were very sad about having to leave today, it ended up being a great day. I woke up at 8 and unpacked and then repacked all of our bags so they were ready and then got dressed. The kids were still asleep, so I left them with John who was doing some work and I ran a couple errands.

My first stop was the sweater shop where I managed to exchange a sweater I bought two years ago for one I like more + some super sweet felted baby slippers for Violet. Then I went back to a souvenir shop I had gone to on our first day of the trip and recovered a baby bootie that we had lost there. I had been so sad when I discovered it was gone so it was a very joyous surprise to find it there. On the way back the hotel I picked up a mocha and walked through the wet, busy streets of Reykjavik just trying to drink it all in before having to leave. I love that city more than I can say.

We headed towards the airport a couple hours later, with a stop at a lava field to take some family photos. The on and off rain made it a bit challenging but I think we got some good ones.

Happily, John was with us for our 7.5 hour flight to Seattle. That flight went by surprisingly quickly and painlessly. Our 'welcome' back to the US left a lot to be desired, however. Being greeted by an army of security, including a dog sniffing everyone's luggage, put me in a really pessimistic and annoyed mood (we had JUST gotten off an airplane, having already been through security, for crying out loud).

After a couple hours at the airport, John left for Alaska and the kids and I took the train over to our terminal. And then the kids started to melt-down. We had all been up for over 20 hours and it was 3:00am for us. It was a bit rough but we got on the plane and both kids fell asleep before we even took off. Once back to LA, I had to carry sleeping William, my 30 pound carryon, and push Violet in the stroller forever through the airport to baggage claim. And then once to the curb, Will laid down on the sidewalk and fell back asleep. Ha! So, it was a tough few hours, but we made it and the trip was a fantastic success.

There's so much more to see and I hope we get to go back soon! Until next time... :)

Babies in the morning.

Beautiful boy.

Pretty art everywhere.

Keflavik Airport


So tired...

No comments:

Post a Comment